Definition of caw in English:
The harsh cry of a rook, crow, or similar bird.
- Instead I was met with the harsh caw of a crow, breaking the eerie silence.
- The crow's caw is much more harsh and resonant than that of the rook.
- The ground was hard and brown and rocky, parched, but the caw of birds from a nearby grove of olive trees muted the sound of my footsteps.
verb[no object] Back to top
Utter a caw: rooks cawed in the dark trees
More example sentences
- Rooks caw in the trees, jackdaws nest in their new chimney, sparrows feed on neighbours' tables.
- But it's also a rustic idyll - an extensively renovated old style estate cottage in the middle of a copse of tall tree where rooks caw incessantly in the Spring sunshine.
- Thrushes sing in the green shrubbery; rooks caw in the elms.
Late 16th century: imitative.
Words that rhyme with cawabhor, adore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, deplore, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, fore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, guffaw, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, ignore, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, onshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, snore, soar, softcore, sore, spore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, tau, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, two-by-four, underfloor, underscore, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yaw, yore, your
Definition of caw in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.