- A low bank or reef of coral, rock, or sand, especially one on the islands in Spanish America. Compare with key2.More example sentences
- Nansha is contested by PRC, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia and the Philippines and comprises 104 islands, reefs, cays and banks.
- Parola Island and the Lawak, Panata and Rizal Reefs are among a group of islands, reefs and cays claimed by the Philippines in the Spratlys.
- Heron is a tiny Barrier Reef coral cay, of only 17 hectares, in the Capricornia Group of islands of Australia's Great Barrier Reef.
late 17th century: from Spanish cayo 'shoal, reef', from French quai 'quay'.
More definitions of cayDefinition of cay in:
- The US English dictionary