- A very tall tropical American tree from which kapok is obtained, with lightweight yellowish or pinkish timber. Also called kapok.
More example sentences
- Ceiba pentandra, family Bombacaceae
- The book is about two taxa: the live oaks that dominate the coastal Louisiana landscape and the ceibas, the signature tree of the Guatemalan lowlands.
- Just before he falls asleep he remembers a vast expanse of sugar cane, he remembers the still air, the sun beating down on the red earth and far off in the distance a ceiba tree that was haunted by the spirits of murdered slaves.
- The rusting set of free weights is scattered under a ceiba tree.
via Spanish from Taino, literally 'giant tree'.
More definitions of ceibaDefinition of ceiba in:
- The US English dictionary