Definition of celluloid in English:
1A transparent flammable plastic made in sheets from camphor and nitrocellulose, formerly used for cinematographic film.
- The boots have been immortalised on celluloid in her latest film, Strictly Sinatra, directed by Peter Capaldi.
- New materials like celluloid simulated expensive ivory and tortoiseshell.
- Under the current analogue process, finished films are copied on celluloid, put on reels and physically delivered to cinemas.
1.1The cinema as a genre: having made the leap from theatre to celluloid, she can now make more money
More example sentences
- Meanwhile, here to prove the point that less really can be more when it comes to celluloid eroticism is Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan.
- Only this time, kids will get a special mini version of what George Lucas created for celluloid lovers.
- Here's hoping that Fox continues to raid their back catalogue for more intriguing crime celluloid treats.
Definition of celluloid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan