Definition of Celsius in English:
adjective[postpositive when used with a numeral]
Of or denoting a scale of temperature on which water freezes at 0° and boils at 100° under standard conditions: a temperature of less than 25° Celsius
More example sentences
- The Kelvin scale uses Celsius units, the main difference being that zero on the Kelvin scale is absolute.
- The ship's diving team took the opportunity to progress continuation training in the pristine 31 degrees Celsius waters around the port.
- Biological records show that insect species are appearing six days earlier on average for each degree Celsius rise in temperature.
nounBack to top
(also Celsius scale) The Celsius scale of temperature.
- Most of our temperatures will be presented in Celsius, but you can grab a Celsius to Fahrenheit converter here.
- Likewise, we can measure temperatures on the Celsius or Fahrenheit scales.
- I have similar problems with temperature - cold temperatures work best in Celsius, hot in Fahrenheit.
Celsius rather than centigrade is the standard accepted term when giving temperatures: use 25° Celsius rather than 25° centigrade.
Definition of Celsius in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.