A predatory myriapod invertebrate with a flattened elongated body composed of many segments. Most segments bear a single pair of legs, the front pair being modified as poison fangs.
- Class Chilopoda: several orders
More example sentences
- Some arthropods, like the centipedes, millipedes, and insects, have legs with a single branch (uniramous appendages).
- The rubbish also attracted beetles, flies, centipedes and millipedes.
- Silurian strata have provided likely ascomycete fossils (a group of fungi), as well as remains of the first arachnids and centipedes.
mid 17th century: from French centipède or Latin centipeda, from centum 'a hundred' + pes, ped- 'foot'.
Definition of centipede in:
- The US English dictionary