Definition of centromere in English:
The point on a chromosome by which it is attached to a spindle fibre during cell division.
- In fact, we did not find any informative marker in the three chromosomal divisions around the centromere of this chromosome.
- The presence of a kinetochore spot indicates the centromere region of each chromosome.
- We conclude that chromosomes with damaged centromeres fail to correctly attach to the spindle, thus producing MN and monosomy.
- Example sentences
- Strains were transformed with a control centromeric plasmid or a centromeric plasmid carrying the wild-type GUK1 gene.
- In Drosophila, relocation of a euchromatic gene near centromeric or telomeric heterochromatin often leads to its mosaic silencing.
- In addition, binding of the yeast CBF3 kinetochore complex to centromeric DNA was severely compromised in this mutant.
Definition of centromere in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan