- The Appellant owns and uses two tractors for the purpose of his business of emptying cesspools and discharging the waste on agricultural land.
- Physicians attributed the primary cause of disease to miasmas emanating from sewage, cesspools, or rotting vegetable matter.
- Place tight covers over cisterns, cesspools, septic tanks, fire barrels, rain barrels and tubs where water is stored.
- Our whole system is nothing but a corrupt cesspool of legalized bribery!
- Hersh's work won him a Pulitzer, and he's continued digging into military and political cesspools, including the CIA's bombing of Cambodia and its actions against Chile's Salvador Allende.
- But whether the Cabinet falls or not, Czechs know that very little will change, for the cesspool that is Czech political culture runs very deep indeed.
late 17th century (denoting a trap under a drain to catch solids): probably an alteration, influenced by pool1, of archaic suspiral 'vent, water pipe, settling tank', from Old French souspirail 'air hole', based on Latin sub- 'from below' + spirare 'breathe'.
Definition of cesspool in:
- The US English dictionary