- A painless ulcer, particularly one that develops on the genitals in venereal disease.More example sentences
- Primary syphilis is most often associated with a single, painless chancre, although it can manifest in other ways (i.e., multiple chancres, painful papules or ulcers, or no lesions).
- The subject developed, firstly, the typical gleet of gonorrhoea, then went on to produce a chancre and then the manifestations of secondary syphilis.
- In addition to leprosy, foreigners seeking work permits are now required to be tested for tuberculosis and the sexually transmitted diseases syphilis, chlamydia and chancres.
late 16th century: from French, from Latin cancer 'creeping ulcer'.
More definitions of chancreDefinition of chancre in:
- The US English dictionary