1In a state of complete confusion and disorder: the political situation was chaotic
More example sentences
- People are very confused in this chaotic world about what is really the right thing to do.
- From its neat grid of streets which parallel the long waterfront, a more chaotic jumble of lanes wriggle up the hillside.
- How can any sense be made of what may appear to be a chaotic jumble of attitudes?
disorderly, disordered, in disorder, in chaos, in disarray, disorganized, topsy-turvy, haywire, confused, in pandemonium, in turmoil, tumultuous, disrupted;
frenzied, in uproar, in a muddle, jumbled, in a mess, messy, in a shambles, anarchic, lawless
1.1 Physics Relating to systems which exhibit chaos.
- They occur as the foundations of what is now known as chaotic systems.
- Smale discovered strange attractors which lead to chaotic dynamical systems.
- Many natural chaotic systems form fractals in the patterns that record the process.
- Example sentences
- Swinging chaotically between mindless lethargy and eruptions of unbridled emotion, he is barely able to think rationally or arrive at any sort of decision.
- His playing was as chaotically brilliant as ever.
- It was a day of stray dogs howling in the streets with fear, flocks of birds flying chaotically in the sky - trying to escape the horrible noises and smoke.
Early 18th century: from chaos, on the pattern of words such as hypnotic.
Words that rhyme with chaoticabiotic, amniotic, antibiotic, demotic, despotic, erotic, exotic, homoerotic, hypnotic, idiotic, macrobiotic, meiotic, narcotic, neurotic, osmotic, patriotic, prebiotic, psychotic, quixotic, robotic, sclerotic, semiotic, symbiotic, zygotic, zymotic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.