noun (plural chargés d'affaires pronunc. same)
- 1An ambassador’s deputy.More example sentences
- Wilson had been the chargé d' affaires in Baghdad in 1990 and an ambassador to two African countries before joining President Clinton's National Security Council as a senior specialist on Africa.
- Finn Forsberg, the chargé d' affaires at the Swedish Embassy, said the international community cannot take the lead in ending the war.
- In December the Romanian chargé in Stockholm, George Duca, contacted the British and American ministers in the name of Maniu and Brtianu.
- 1.1A state’s diplomatic representative in a minor country.More example sentences
- The government sent a chargé d' affaires to re-establish a diplomatic presence in the country.
- One example of this official support came from the chargé d' affaires at the Libyan Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria.
- Stephen Evans is the British chargé d' affaires in Kabul
mid 18th century: French, '(a person) in charge of affairs'.
More definitions of chargé d'affairesDefinition of chargé d'affaires in:
- The US English dictionary