Definition of chequerboard in English:
1A board for playing checkers (draughts) and similar games, having a regular pattern of squares in alternating colours, typically black and white.
- Stitch the strips together again, alternating black and white to create a checkerboard pattern.
- Even the floors and ceilings were different: the former was high and covered with stalactites, whereas the latter was no longer simply white marble but a checkerboard of black and white.
- The floor was a checkerboard of black and white lino tiles.
1.1A pattern resembling a chequerboard.
- Brenda gives all her bird houses custom paint jobs and has done many styles, including polka dots, checkerboards, and floral patterns.
- Seared tuna was cut wafer-thin and plated in an odd checkerboard pattern with diaphanous slivers of half-ripe mango.
- The doctor finishes his drink and gently sets the glass down on the coaster, staring at the little checkerboard pattern beneath it.
Definition of chequerboard in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan