1A board for playing checkers (draughts) and similar games, having a regular pattern of squares in alternating colours, typically black and white.
- Stitch the strips together again, alternating black and white to create a checkerboard pattern.
- Even the floors and ceilings were different: the former was high and covered with stalactites, whereas the latter was no longer simply white marble but a checkerboard of black and white.
- The floor was a checkerboard of black and white lino tiles.
1.1A pattern resembling a chequerboard.
- Brenda gives all her bird houses custom paint jobs and has done many styles, including polka dots, checkerboards, and floral patterns.
- Seared tuna was cut wafer-thin and plated in an odd checkerboard pattern with diaphanous slivers of half-ripe mango.
- The doctor finishes his drink and gently sets the glass down on the coaster, staring at the little checkerboard pattern beneath it.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: che¦quer|board
Definition of chequerboard in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.