Definition of chicken hawk in English:
1A hawk of a type that is reputed to prey on domestic fowl.
- Overhead, a tiny but persistent washi bird attacked a much bigger chicken hawk on the wing to try and get feathers for its nest.
- A solitary chicken hawk circled so slowly on a high updraft of air that he looked to be hanging motionless, a small brown kite.
- Red-tailed hawks are returning. They are also called chicken hawks although they normally eat more rodents, woodchucks, and rabbits than chickens.
2 informal A person who speaks out in support of war yet has avoided active military service.
- In a whole series of pieces, Newfield went after what he crudely called the chicken hawks, the right-wing drum-bangers who had either dodged the war or invented a record in it.
- Like every other member of the group, we evaded the war in Vietnam. Some people see an ethical problem in this; they refer to us as chicken hawks.
- What amazes me is how the current chicken hawks have conned America about how patriotic they are.
Definition of chicken hawk in:
- US English dictionary