Definition of chicken hawk in English:
1A hawk of a type that is reputed to prey on domestic fowl.
- A chicken-hawk flew down onto one of the burnt tree stumps.
- There was no one to overhear them save a speckled chicken hawk circling lazily on the updraft from the mountain.
- Red-tailed hawks are returning. They are also called chicken hawks although they normally eat more rodents, woodchucks, and rabbits than chickens.
1.1 informal An older man who seeks younger men or boys as sexual partners.
- They're trying to keep the 'chicken hawks' - victimizers of young boys - away from the chickens.
- "I must say that although I am no 'chicken hawk,' there are some really cute guys around the country."
- The stereotype of the chicken hawk has made older men leery of striking up conversations, let alone friendships, with their younger counterparts.
2 informal A person who speaks out in support of war yet has avoided active military service.
- Voter chose the chickenhawk over the war hero.
- What amazes me is how the current chicken hawks have conned America about how patriotic they are.
- Like every other member of the group, we evaded the war in Vietnam. Some people see an ethical problem in this; they refer to us as chicken hawks.
Definition of chicken hawk in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.