Definition of chigger in English:
1A tropical flea, the female of which burrows and lays eggs beneath the host’s skin, causing painful sores. Also called chigoe, sand flea.
- Tunga penetrans, family Tungidae
- Deet protects troops on the ground from mosquitoes, deer ticks, biting flies, chiggers, fleas and other insects.
- Not only does it repel mosquitoes, but it repels ticks, chiggers, fleas, and flies, too.
- Although I have not subjected myself to all of these, the label says that Repel disgusts chiggers, fleas, mosquitoes, ticks, and sand fleas.
2North American A harvest mite.
- We pulled up a couple of plants and scrubbed them against our trouser legs and were never bothered by ticks or chiggers or other insects while we were gathering fruit.
- Our president compares the rebel leader, to a tiny jigger, the parasite that lives in feet and can be dealt with in an instant.
mid 18th century: variant of chigoe.
Definition of chigger in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan