(also chilli pepper, US chili or chile)
Definition of chilli in English:
noun (plural chillies, US chilies or chiles)
1A small hot-tasting pod of a variety of capsicum, used in sauces, relishes, and spice powders. There are various forms with pods of differing size, colour, and strength of flavour.
- Seasonings for marinades run the gamut from herbs, spices, garlic, and chilies to fish sauce, salts, olives, and onions.
- What he didn't tell you is that there were onions, garlic, oregano and chilies in the sauce, too.
- Mix the olive oil, crushed chillies and thyme leaves with sea salt and black pepper.
1.1 short for chilli powder.
- The chicken is seasoned with a blend of jalapeno, cayenne, chili, and black and white pepper.
- Heat half a tablespoon of ghee or oil, in a pan, and fry the coriander leaves along with the chilli, pepper and cumin seeds, till you get an aroma.
- It's basically onion, garlic, green pepper, a can of tomatoes, sprinkle of chili, cayenne pepper and seasoning.
1.2 short for chilli con carne.
- My companions fell for the chicken and mushroom vol-au-vents served with salad and the chilli in pitta bread clicked with our photographer.
- There are also recipes for cassoulet, sausage chilli, sausage pasta with capers and feta and, of course, sausage, egg and bacon panini: sausage rolls to you and me.
- The addition of ceviche and chilli to sashimi and sushi could have been invented by Thor Heyerdahl to prove that the Japanese discovered Lima.
Definition of chilli in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan