(also chinaberry tree)
noun (plural chinaberries)
1A tall tree which bears fragrant lilac flowers and yellow berries, native to Asia and Australasia.
- Melia azedarach, family Meliaceae.
- On one side it was anchored by a huge chinaberry tree, on the other by a towering mimosa.
- Our neighbor has one chinaberry tree in the front, but all we have is grey dirt.
- Comanche Lookout Park hosts combinations of ashe juniper, Texas and Mexican buckeye, as well as chinaberry, graneno, Lindheimer hackberry, honey mesquite, huisache, and more.
1.1The fruit of the chinaberry, used to make insecticides and also rosary beads.
- Among his choices were olive, lemon, lime, apricot, peach, and chinaberry.
- In the vicinity of Dothan, Alabama, bluejays are often called "roller birds," because when chinaberries are ripe, they sit in the trees and gorge themselves on chinaberries until they grow drunk.
- In the Southeast, chinaberries and blackberries are most popular.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: china|berry
Definition of chinaberry in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.