A mammal of the order Chiroptera; a bat.
- To delve further into this subject, check out our new exhibits on vertebrate flight and chiropteran flight.
- The molecular clock applied herein suggests that the first divergence among chiropterans dates back to approximately 62 MYA.
- Lyssavirus is found naturally among chiropteran and carnivoran mammals and is spread by the exchange of body fluids.
Relating to or denoting chiropterans.
- The molecular phylogeny presented here is consistent with either two independent origins of echolocation within the chiropteran lineage or a single origin.
- The relaxed Bayesian clock method following the methodology outlined in Matthee et al. was used to date the evolution of the various chiropteran lineages.
- The limitation of using single markers for resolving family-level chiropteran relationships was highlighted by the results obtained from analyses of individual nuclear intron fragments.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: chir|op¦ter¦an
Definition of chiropteran in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.