noun (plural same)
A sandy-coloured Tibetan gazelle with black horns. Also called Tibetan antelope.
- Pantholops hodgsoni, family Bovidae
More example sentences
- Four mountaineers in the high steppes of northern Tibet and northeastern China have located the key calving ground of the chiru, a rare Tibetan antelope.
- But Chinese filmmaker Lu Chuan says he was inspired by the true story of the chiru - a rare antelope - and the Tibetan volunteers who risk their lives to protect the endangered antelope from poachers.
- The soft wool of a rare Tibetan antelope, the chiru, has been so highly prized that the animal which numbered some million in 1900 is threatened with being hunted to extinction.
late 19th century: probably from Tibetan.
More definitions of chiruDefinition of chiru in:
- The US English dictionary