Definition of chondrite in English:
A stony meteorite containing small mineral granules (chondrules).
- My research has largely been in the chemistry of how the particular components of chondrites, very primitive meteorites, actually formed in the solar nebula.
- If the impact object was a stony carbonaceous chondrite there would be silicates all over the impact site.
- Carbonaceous chondrites are representative of the early material of the solar system, very primitive material, so it's the closest we get to the stuff from which the solar system evolved.
- Example sentences
- For Toutatis, Ostro hopes to find a higher density, because if the density he finds is high enough, it would be possible to exclude chondritic compositions and say for sure that Toutatis is a stony-iron object.
- Planetary geologists, however, know little about the lower mantle of the Moon, so no one knows whether it is chondritic.
- The answer comes from a fourth line of evidence on the deep-Earth composition: cosmic abundances of the elements deduced from analyses of chondritic meteorites and the solar photosphere.
Definition of chondrite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan