nounZoology & Embryology
- The primary skull of vertebrates, composed of cartilage, which in humans and most other vertebrates is replaced by bone during development.More example sentences
- The taenia tecti medialis, a bar of cartilage on the dorsomedial surface of the chondrocranium that bisects the parietal portion of the frontoparietal fontanelle, evolved in the common ancestor to neobatrachians.
- In bony vertebrates, endochondral bones form from centers of ossification in the chondrocranium, although much of the braincase often remains cartilage.
- The epaxial muscles insert on the posterior aspect of the chondrocranium, which later ossifies into the exoccipitals and supraoccipital of the skull.
More definitions of chondrocraniumDefinition of chondrocranium in:
- The US English dictionary