- A coloured plastid other than a chloroplast, typically containing a yellow or orange pigment.More example sentences
- In ripening fruit, chloroplasts develop into chromoplasts and there are large changes in stromule number and morphology, particularly in the inner mesocarp cells.
- Although control of gene expression at the transcriptional level is a key regulatory mechanism controlling carotenogenesis in chromoplasts, it is not the only one.
- Conversion of chloroplasts to chromoplasts occurs well before flower opening and thus before the reproductive function of the flower commences.
late 19th century: from chromo-2 'colour' + Greek plastos 'formed'.
More definitions of chromoplastDefinition of chromoplast in:
- The US English dictionary