adjective (chubbier, chubbiest)
- Plump and rounded: a pretty child with chubby cheeksMore example sentences
plump, tubby, roly-poly, rotund, portly, stout, dumpy, chunky, broad in the beam, well upholstered, well covered, well padded, of ample proportions, ample, round, rounded, well rounded; fat, overweight, fleshy, paunchy, pot-bellied, bulky; buxom• archaic pursy• rare abdominous
- The man carrying the knife was much shorter than his accomplice and was described as chubby with a red face.
- I felt sorry for the innumerable chubby people at the front who had to be gasping for air.
- It came as a shock to see how chubby he was as both a child and an early teenager.
- More example sentences
- Curly blond hair and chubbiness is also useful (although this is likely to have more influence on aunts and elderly neighbours than your parents).
- The red hair had turned auburn, and the chubbiness had turned to muscle.
- I felt oddly paternal, a sensation reinforced by his innocent features and his slight chubbiness.
early 17th century (in the sense 'short and thickset, like a chub'): from chub.