Definition of chufa in English:
1An Old World sedge which yields an edible tuber, cultivated in some marshy regions of Spain and Italy. Also called tiger nut.
- Cyperus esculentus variety sativus, family Cyperaceae
- And because of their hardy nature, a plot of chufas will last for years in poor soil as well as fertilized fields.
- Today he has six chufa plots and credits chufas with holding more birds on his land.
- Wild turkeys will destroy a food plot containing chufas if the grazing pressure is too high.
1.1 [mass noun] The tuber of the chufa plant, which may be roasted or made into flour or juice.
- Archaeologists have even found vases of chufas in the tombs of Pharaohs.
- Now put the chufas in a blender until they turn into a soft paste.
- Horchata de chufas is a traditional drink based on the juice obtained from mashed chufas (tiger nuts).
Mid 19th century: from Spanish.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan