- A large homopterous insect with long transparent wings, found chiefly in warm countries. The male cicada makes a loud, shrill droning noise by vibrating two membranes on its abdomen.
More example sentences
- Family Cicadidae, suborder Homoptera: many genera
- Watch a kite sweep the skies for large insects such as grasshoppers, cicadas and dragonflies.
- On land, an unseen cicada had begun its shrill noise.
- But even over the noise, I could hear the monotonous drone of a cicada.
late Middle English: from Latin cicada, cicala.
More definitions of cicadaDefinition of cicada in:
- The US English dictionary