Definition of ciliate in English:
A single-celled animal of a large and diverse phylum distinguished by the possession of cilia or ciliary structures.
- Most ciliates cannot reproduce indefinitely by asexual fission, and eventually die out if prohibited from conjugating.
- Several of his images of ciliates are available; look under ‘Infusoria,’ an older name for the Ciliata.
- In the most recent classification of ciliates, the group is divided into eight classes.
adjectiveZoology Back to top
1(Of an organism, cell, or surface) bearing cilia.
- In the present study we were unable to observe cilia in any presumptive ciliate protozoan.
- Although their roles as parasitic castrators has been documented, relatively little is known about the biology of ciliate parasites in mayflies.
- Example sentences
- Most of the epithelial cells are ciliated, with microscopic ‘hairs’ that continuously sweep any surface material towards the larynx.
- Chemical irritants such as cigarette smoke or other environmental or industrial pollutants damage the ciliated cells.
- The examination revealed a ciliated form that was thought to represent a ciliated microorganism.
Definition of ciliate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan