- 1A widely distributed herbaceous plant of the rose family, with compound leaves of five leaflets and five-petalled yellow flowers.
More example sentences
- Genus Potentilla, family Rosaceae
- One of these plants, Robbins' cinquefoil or dwarf cinquefoil, has been proposed for removal from the federal endangered species list.
- If you have a toothache or mouth sore, you might try cinquefoil, a native plant.
- Deciduous cinquefoil has long been used for borders and ground covers in cold-climate gardens.
- 2 Art An ornamental design of five lobes arranged in a circle, e.g. in architectural tracery or heraldry.More example sentences
- The cinquefoil, when inscribed in a circle, forms a rosette of five equal leaves having an open space in the middle, the leaves being formed by the open spaces.
Middle English: from Latin quinquefolium, from quinque 'five' + folium 'leaf'.
More definitions of cinquefoilDefinition of cinquefoil in:
- The US English dictionary