- Tartan ties, scarves and even a map of the Scottish clans filled the window of the shop.
- Highland society in general, however, was organized into that most celebrated of Scottish institutions, the clan.
- Let us go back in time where Scottish tartan denoted the clan you belonged too.
- Each clan has its own little internal idiosyncrasies.
- The company is owned by the extended Whitaker family, descended from the Johnson and Perrott clans that gave the business its name in 1910.
- At least it has a classic story line - the offspring of two feuding clans falling in love and taking on the world together.
- Often it's a matter of conflicting interests with no resolution at a higher level than the interests - warring clans, greedy industries.
- The clan gather at the pub at 8pm and new members are always made welcome.
- Yes, Elinor is the eccentric one of our little clan.
- Example sentences
- A strong sense of clanship pervaded these villages, making men from other clans feel like interlopers.
- Especially in the province of Moray, there were also feudal groups which adopted clanship.
- But correspondences quickly show through this prose-verse narrative, and the highest ideals of medieval European clanship are exploited in the story to reveal pulp fiction lives familiar as our own.
Late Middle English: from Scottish Gaelic clann 'offspring, family', from Old Irish cland, from Latin planta 'sprout'.
Clan is from Scottish Gaelic clann ‘offspring, family’, from Old Irish cland, derived from Latin planta ‘sprout’.
Words that rhyme with clanAberfan, Adrianne, an, Anne, artisan, astrakhan, ban, began, Belmopan, bipartisan, bran, can, Cannes, Cézanne, Cheyenne, courtesan, cran, dan, Dayan, Diane, divan, élan, Elan, fan, flan, foreran, Fran, Friedan, Gell-Mann, gran, Han, Hunan, Ivan, Jan, Japan, Jinan, Joanne, Kazan, Klan, Kordofan, Lacan, Lausanne, Leanne, Limousin, Louvain, man, Mann, Marianne, Milan, Moran, nan, Oran, outran, outspan, Pan, panne, parmesan, partisan, pavane, pecan, Pétain, plan, Pusan, ran, rataplan, rattan, Rosanne, Sagan, Saipan, saran, scan, scran, sedan, span, spick-and-span, Spokane, Suzanne, Tainan, tan, than, tisane, trepan, van, vin, Wuhan, Xian, Yerevan, Yunnan, Zhongshan
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: clan
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.