Definition of clarinet in English:
- My mother played some piano and my father was able to play violin, some piano, saxophone, clarinet, trumpet and trombone.
- Because the bore is cylindrical, clarinets are much cheaper to make than oboes.
- The instruments all stopped except a clarinet, which gave a loud squeak.
- Example sentences
- British composers were especially lucky in their clarinetists, oboists, horn players, and violists.
- He was a fine teacher, wonderful jazz clarinettist and painter, and above all rightly described by all who are familiar with his work as a prodigious composer.
- One of the great jazz clarinetists and band leaders, he justifiably was crowned ‘the king of swing’.
Mid 18th century: from French clarinette, diminutive of clarine, denoting a kind of bell; related to clarion.
This musical term is from French clarinette, a diminutive of clarine denoting a kind of bell; it is related to Middle English clarion originally ‘a shrill narrow-tubed war trumpet’, from medieval Latin clario(n-), from Latin clarus ‘clear’. From the same source come claret, clarity, clarify, clear, and declare; all Middle English.
Words that rhyme with clarinetabet, aiguillette, anisette, Annette, Antoinette, arête, Arlette, ate, baguette, banquette, barbette, barrette, basinet, bassinet, beget, Bernadette, beset, bet, Bette, blanquette, Brett, briquette, brochette, brunette (US brunet), Burnett, cadet, caravanette, cassette, castanet, charette, cigarette (US cigaret), Claudette, Colette, coquette, corvette, couchette, courgette, croquette, curette, curvet, Debrett, debt, dinette, diskette, duet, epaulette (US epaulet), flageolet, flannelette, forget, fret, galette, gazette, Georgette, get, godet, grisette, heavyset, Jeanette, jet, kitchenette, La Fayette, landaulet, launderette, layette, lazaret, leatherette, let, Lett, lorgnette, luncheonette, lunette, Lynette, maisonette, majorette, maquette, Marie-Antoinette, marionette, Marquette, marquisette, martinet, met, minaret, minuet, moquette, motet, musette, Nanette, net, noisette, nonet, novelette, nymphet, octet, Odette, on-set, oubliette, Paulette, pet, Phuket, picquet, pillaret, pincette, pipette, piquet, pirouette, planchette, pochette, quartet, quickset, quintet, regret, ret, Rhett, roomette, rosette, roulette, satinette, septet, serviette, sestet, set, sett, sextet, silhouette, soubrette, spinet, spinneret, statuette, stet, stockinet, sublet, suffragette, Suzette, sweat, thickset, threat, Tibet, toilette, tret, underlet, upset, usherette, vedette, vet, vignette, vinaigrette, wagonette, wet, whet, winceyette, yet, Yvette
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.