An open space in a forest, especially one cleared for cultivation.
- Forest openings and clearings and agricultural areas are also good habitat for the Western Bluebird.
- They are common in forest clearings, wetlands, edges, residential areas, orchards, and stands of Russian olive.
- She led them to a small, grassy clearing in the middle of a wooded area.
Words that rhyme with clearingauctioneering, coasteering, earring, electioneering, engineering, gearing, geoengineering, orienteering, privateering, shearing
noun[mass noun] British
A system used by universities to fill the remaining available undergraduate places before the start of the academic year.
- Students going through clearing should make themselves available because admissions tutors will want to talk to them rather than their parents.
- Universities you approach during clearing will ask for these.
- We're now into the university clearing season.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan