Definition of cleistogamy in English:
noun[mass noun] Botany
Self-fertilization that occurs within a permanently closed flower.
- Sporobolus is mostly self-pollinated due to a high degree of sheath cleistogamy, while Panicum is a self-incompatible outbreeder.
- F 1 plants had chasmogamous flowers, indicating that chasmogamy was dominant to cleistogamy.
- The majority of grasses in which cleistogamy occurs have both chasmogamous flowers and either one or two types of cleistogamous flowers.
- 1cleistogamous adjective
- Example sentences
- Flowering plants had a mean of 9.5 inflorescences on 70 mostly cleistogamous spikelets.
- We almost walked by the minute yellow flowers of Utricularia subulata, surprisingly still in bloom, and saw many more plants with cleistogamous flowers.
- In addition, 62% of the flowers on these plants were cleistogamous indicating a high level of self-pollination.
Late 19th century: from Greek kleistos 'closed' + -gamy (from gamos 'marriage').
Definition of cleistogamy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.