- 1A small translucent cover for protecting or forcing outdoor plants.More example sentences
- Plant under cloches and begin covering at night when temperatures drop below 35 degrees.
- Cover the area with cloches to protect from the worst of the weather and pests.
- Cover this with cloches or a cold frame and wait until the temperature drops to 25C before sowing early salads, broad beans and herbs.
- 2 (also cloche hat) A woman’s close-fitting bell-shaped hat.More example sentences
- In the first, the ‘Girl’ in a cloche hat (tight-fitting, bell-shaped), with only one lock of hair peeking out, stands in the center of the picture in profile, looking off to the left.
- Elizabeth quietly sipped her tea and was glad she wore her wide brimmed hat instead of her cloche hat today.
- The cloche hat is almost like one of those clown hats.
late 19th century: from French, literally 'bell' (see cloak).
More definitions of clocheDefinition of cloche in:
- The US English dictionary