Definition of cloth cap in English:
1A man’s flat woollen cap with a peak.
- He wears an outsize cloth cap, chocolate-coloured, at all times.
- These people wore their cloth cap and shawls with the pride of hard-working people.
- He swapped his cloth cap and overalls for a hired suit to collect his award for services to heritage and broadcasting.
1.1 [as modifier] Relating to or associated with the working class: Labour’s traditional cloth-cap image
More example sentences
- He says there is real pride in making things, especially ships, though the cloth-cap image should have given way because of the high-tech processes involved.
- They see the drinking, smoking, the cloth-cap image, but it's not like that at professional level.
- The Football League may have a dour, cloth-cap image but with that also comes charisma and civic pride.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.