noun[mass noun] Phonetics
- The articulation of two or more speech sounds together, so that one influences the other: allophones can occur as a result of coarticulation across word boundariesMore example sentences
- The phenomenon is well known to phoneticians and is called ‘coarticulation’.
- People learn coarticulations that are often physically easy but not always physically necessary.
- However, in spontaneous speech, inter-syllabic coarticulations usually take the form of regressive assimilation.
More definitions of coarticulationDefinition of coarticulation in:
- The US English dictionary