Definition of coccidia in English:
Parasitic protozoa of a group that includes those that cause diseases such as coccidiosis and toxoplasmosis.
- I tested these hypotheses experimentally in a host-parasite system involving wild turkeys and their intestinal protozoal parasites, the eimerian coccidia.
- We used fecal egg counts to measure intensity of infection by T. tenuis worms and coccidia.
- We added the chemical to the drinking water during the pretreatment period to prevent the spread of coccidia, a common endoparasite of house finches.
coccidian adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- Prevalence and intensity analyses included only strongyle and coccidian parasites.
- Many studies have highlighted the emergence of important gastrointestinal coccidian parasites.
- Toxoplasma gondii is a coccidian parasite of cats; humans and other warm-blooded animals serve as intermediate hosts.
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin (former order name), from Greek kokkis, diminutive of kokkos 'berry'.
Definition of coccidia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.