Definition of coccolithophore in English:
A single-celled marine flagellate that secretes a calcareous shell, forming an important constituent of the phytoplankton.
- Order Coccolithophorida, phylum Haptophyta
- Diatoms and coccolithophores particularly are important sources of food for small aquatic predators.
- The brown algæ that produce tiny washer-shaped coccoliths are known as coccolithophores, and these also float in the upper section of the open seas.
- They're performing laboratory experiments with microscopic shell-building phytoplankton known as coccolithophores.
coccolithophorid noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Corals, some types of mollusk, and tiny planktonic organisms called foraminifers and coccolithophorids could all be affected.
- It is well known that an increase in atmospheric pCO2 slows down calcification in living coccolithophorids.
- Amongst the affected species are microscopic marine plants called coccolithophorids, which lie at the base of the marine food-chain and are part of the ‘meadows of the sea’ on which most marine life ultimately depends.
Definition of coccolithophore in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan