Definition of code-switching in English:
noun[mass noun] Linguistics
The practice of alternating between two or more languages or varieties of language in conversation: the conversational code-switching of the German-American bilingual community
More example sentences
- Another interesting trend in the interviews was that several children naturally used code-switching (Korean to English or vice versa) during the picture book reading interactions with their mothers.
- Widespread code-switching often indicates greater or less shift towards the more dominant of the two languages.
- Because of code-switching, it seems unlikely that a colloquial variety of English alone will develop.
- Example sentences
- Before reaching full proficiency in L2, English-speaking teachers would have to code-switch between English and L2 in the classroom.
- Note that she code-switches, depending on who she's talking to.
- As demonstrated in this exchange, both the students and the teacher code-switched between Spanish and English in the ELD classes.
Definition of code-switching in:
- US English dictionary