noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A sleep-inducing and analgesic drug derived from morphine.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: C18H21NO3
- Opiates - drugs like codeine and morphine that contain or are derived from opium - are considered low-grade narcotics.
- In addition, staff were concerned that pain might be undertreated once acetaminophen with codeine was the only analgesic used for pain management.
- If this does not work the second step is to continue these drugs and add a weak synthetic opium imitator such as codeine or oxycodone.
mid 19th century: from Greek kōdeia 'poppy head' + -ine4.
More definitions of codeineDefinition of codeine in:
- The US English dictionary