Severe pain in the abdomen caused by wind or obstruction in the intestines and suffered especially by babies.
More example sentences
- The pain of renal colic is due to obstruction of urinary flow, with subsequent increasing wall tension in the urinary tract.
- People used to think that babies with colic were more likely to get asthma or allergies, but now doctors know that is not true.
- In the mid eighteenth century a severe illness called the Devonshire colic was traced to lead poisoning from the metal used to seal holes in mills and presses.
late Middle English: from Old French colique, from late Latin colicus, from colon (see colon2).
- More example sentences
- Patients complain of colicky abdominal pain, borborygmi and vomiting.
- Diverticulosis may be misdiagnosed as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, because some of the symptoms such as colicky pain, are similar.
- Kidney stones may present in different ways, but the classic presentation is with acute loin to groin colicky pain associated with nausea and vomiting.
Definition of colic in:
- The US English dictionary