Definition of collet in English:
1A segmented band put round a shaft and tightened so as to grip it.
- The collet closer is shaped and sized to, on tightening of the collet closet, radially compress the collet to grip the sheath.
- The shaft of the cutting tool fits into a collet, which in turn fits into the chuck sleeve.
- The main advantages of the sliding headstock portion of the machine are that it can load the part into the collet with extreme precision, turn the part very precisely and handle heavy metal removal.
2A flange or socket for setting a gem in jewellery.
- The necklace in Plate IX, based on the hopvine, is set with thirty different colored gemstones, each mounted in a collet setting with two leaves and three conelike blossoms.
- In wearing the ring, he noticed that when he turned the collet or face of the ring in toward his palm, he became invisible.
- Six diamonds in collet settings serve as the ‘prongs’ to hold the hessonite garnet in place.
Words that rhyme with colletSmollett, wallet
Definition of collet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.