Definition of colliculus in English:
noun (plural colliculi kəˈlɪkjʊlʌɪkəˈlɪkjʊliː)Anatomy
Any of a number of small swellings in the roof of the midbrain, involved in vision and hearing.
- The posterior thalamic or pulvinar nuclei project backwards over the superior colliculi of the midbrain.
- Normally it extends caudally over the superior colliculi of the midbrain.
- Each sensory input is distributed across the superior colliculus to form a neural ‘map’ in a particular layer of the nucleus.
- Example sentences
- However, some collicular neurons are known to exhibit ipsilateral inhibitory regions.
- Cerebellotectal pathways in the macaque: Implications for collicular generation of saccades.
- The responses of Müller cells were stronger following intraocular injections of collicular proteoglycan than as a result of the Wallerian degeneration of 80% of retinal ganglion cells.
Mid 19th century: from Latin, diminutive of collis 'hill'.
Definition of colliculus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.