Definition of collier in English:
1A coal miner.
- Consider also the colliers and pitmen and coal merchants and coal trains and the men who drive them and the ships that carry coals - what an army of servants do the machines thus employ!
- Once the country's leading coal producer, in 1860 its colliers accounted for just 2.4 percent of the national total.
- In 1701 a statute declared that habeas corpus did not apply to the miners and in 1708 it was enacted that a collier escaping could be brought back within eight years.
2A ship carrying coal.
- It is an unusual design of ship, a collier with engine-room aft and wheelhouse amidships.
- The slipway would have been used to take small boats from the house to the colliers - coal ships - moored in the upper harbour.
- The U.S. armada at Culebra was swelled by a flotilla of support vessels, including colliers and torpedo boats.
Words that rhyme with colliervolleyer
Definition of collier in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan