Definition of colloid in English:
1A homogeneous non-crystalline substance consisting of large molecules or ultramicroscopic particles of one substance dispersed through a second substance. Colloids include gels, sols, and emulsions; the particles do not settle, and cannot be separated out by ordinary filtering or centrifuging like those in a suspension.
- And 10 years later he used freezing point depressions to determine the molecular weights of colloids such as gum, Fe 3 etc.
- In lyophobic colloids the particle-solvent interaction is energetically unfavorable and the suspension will sooner or later separate.
- He showed that these materials were long, chain-like molecules and not colloids as previously thought.
1.1 [mass noun] Anatomy & Medicine A substance of gelatinous consistency.
- These techniques offer advantages similar to those of haemodilution but do not require infusions of crystalloid or colloid to preserve blood volume.
- Thus, sentinel lymph nodes can be detected by the injection of blue dye or radioactive colloid around the tumor, which travels to and identifies the first draining sentinel lymph node.
- Cell blocks revealed sheets or clusters of follicular cells and variably sized follicles filled with colloid.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or characterized by a colloid or colloids.
- Several previous reports have dealt with the experimental and theoretical aspects of depletion aggregation, often termed depletion flocculation, as applied to the general field of colloid chemistry.
- The first cancer had been diagnosed as colloid carcinoma in 1985.
- This assumption is generally verified in colloid science and has been precisely verified for our material only at low concentration of monovalent salt.
- Example sentences
- These wet colloidal negatives had to be prepared on site, so Francis Frith, so the label said, had a special wicker-work dark-room wagon made for his expeditions.
- It is said to be much more potent than colloidal silver, which has a history of use in helping to clear skin infections, including athlete's foot.
- According to some, taking the colloidal herbal medicine was a traditional way to raise energy levels in winter.
Definition of colloid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan