Definition of colocynth in English:
1A tropical Old World climbing plant of the gourd family, which bears a pulpy fruit. Also called bitter apple.
- Citrullus colocynthis, family Cucurbitaceae
- Commercial extract of colocynth may be often found in the market made with an aqueous menstruum.
- The ground was luxuriant with colocynth, whose runners and fruits looked festive in the early light.
- As one proceeds inwards, the thinly spaced vegetation become more frequent, with a dense acacia forest, continuous tufts of panicum grass and colocynths covering the valley floor in the broad middle section.
1.1The fruit of the colocynth plant.
- If eaten in large quantities, the colocynth might even cause death.
- They may take strong cathartics unadulterated to purify their bellies, such as, for instance, unripe colocynths, Thapsia garganica, and Euphorbia.
- It is a native of Africa, where there were originally two species: the watermelon itself and the very bitter colocynth, which is inedible without being processed but has some food uses as well as some in traditional medicine.
1.2 [mass noun] A bitter purgative drug obtained from the colocynth fruit.
- Nevertheless, a century later many Victorians were taking a nightly dose of blue pill, aloes, colocynth, and castor and croton oils to purge their bowels.
- It is frequently combined with blue pill or compound colocynth pill, or with Dover's powder.
- The patient was given Colocynth as an acute remedy as the acute picture matched with colocynth.
Definition of colocynth in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan