Definition of colocynth in English:
1A tropical Old World climbing plant of the gourd family, which bears a pulpy fruit. Also called bitter apple.
- Citrullus colocynthis, family Cucurbitaceae
- Commercial extract of colocynth may be often found in the market made with an aqueous menstruum.
- The ground was luxuriant with colocynth, whose runners and fruits looked festive in the early light.
- As one proceeds inwards, the thinly spaced vegetation become more frequent, with a dense acacia forest, continuous tufts of panicum grass and colocynths covering the valley floor in the broad middle section.
1.1The fruit of the colocynth plant.
- If eaten in large quantities, the colocynth might even cause death.
- They may take strong cathartics unadulterated to purify their bellies, such as, for instance, unripe colocynths, Thapsia garganica, and Euphorbia.
- It is a native of Africa, where there were originally two species: the watermelon itself and the very bitter colocynth, which is inedible without being processed but has some food uses as well as some in traditional medicine.
1.2 [mass noun] A bitter purgative drug obtained from the colocynth fruit.
- Nevertheless, a century later many Victorians were taking a nightly dose of blue pill, aloes, colocynth, and castor and croton oils to purge their bowels.
- It is frequently combined with blue pill or compound colocynth pill, or with Dover's powder.
- The patient was given Colocynth as an acute remedy as the acute picture matched with colocynth.
Mid 16th century: via Latin from Greek kolokunthis.
Definition of colocynth in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.