Unable to distinguish certain colours, or (rarely in humans) any colours at all. See protanopia.
- Nocturnal species can discriminate flowers at starlight intensities when humans and honeybees are colour-blind.
- Bulls are colour-blind, so it is yet another myth that they are enraged by red shades; they react only to the fervent cape-waving.
- Now you have to understand, my dad not only waited till the last minute to make me a costume, but was also acutely colour-blind, with the worst creative sense I've ever seen.
- Example sentences
- It is clearly critical to screen for colour blindness at entry to professions where coloured signals are used - aviation and navigation, as well as train driving.
- Accidents or strokes that damage the retina or affect particular areas of the brain can cause colour blindness.
- The most common form of color blindness is an inherited condition that affects boys much more often than girls.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: colour-blind
Definition of colour-blind in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.