Definition of colposcope in English:
A surgical instrument used to examine the vagina and the cervix of the womb.
- Magnification devices, such as a colposcope, allow the clinician to observe small lesions that may not otherwise be readily identified.
- Colposcopy involves an out-patient visit to a hospital, where a gynaecologist (doctor specialising in the female reproductive system) examines the cervix closely through a binocular microscope called a colposcope.
- Examination of the labia, vagina and cervix is greatly enhanced with the use of a colposcope.
- Example sentences
- Despite these difficulties with lesion identification, researchers have found several characteristic features that can help in locating glandular lesions during colposcopy.
- Previous studies have recommended more frequent cytologic sampling and prompt referral for colposcopy in HIV-positive women with abnormal cytology.
- Present guidelines recommend referral for colposcopy after detection of three borderline and two mild abnormalities.
Definition of colposcope in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan