noun (plural comedones /-ˈdəʊniːz/)
- technical term for blackhead ( sense 1).More example sentences
- This is a chronic inflammation of the hair follicle and sebaceous gland (pilosebaceous unit) characterized by pustules, comedones, cysts, and scars, and it affects most adolescents.
- The first technique works wonders in treating large boils, abscesses (whether hot or cold), and evidently, also big or tight clusters of acne pustules and comedones.
- This results in enlargement of the sebaceous glands, which can eventually lead to the development of comedones (black-heads).
mid 19th century: from Latin, literally 'glutton', from comedere 'eat up', from com- 'altogether' + edere 'eat'. Used formerly as a name for parasitic worms, the term here alludes to the worm-like matter which can be squeezed from a blackhead.
More definitions of comedoDefinition of comedo in:
- The US English dictionary