adjective (comelier, comeliest)archaic or humorous
1(Typically of a woman) pleasant to look at; attractive: the comely Italian actress Valeria Golino
More example sentences
- I managed to resist the allure of comely females for the rest of the day; but unfortunately, at night time, I relapsed again.
- Which football nation is represented by the most comely lady?
- Shall we not at long last spare this good and comely woman from further degradation?
attractive, good-looking, nice-looking, beautiful, pretty, handsome, lovely, stunning, striking, arresting, gorgeous, prepossessing, winning, fetching, captivating, bewitching, beguiling, engaging, charming, charismatic, enchanting, appealing, delightful, irresistible; sexy, sexually attractive, sexual, seductive, alluring, tantalizing, ravishing, desirable, sultry, sensuous, sensual, erotic, arousing, luscious, lush, nubile; Scottish & Northern Englishbonny
informal fanciable, beddable, tasty, hot, smashing, knockout, drop-dead gorgeous, out of this world, easy on the eye, come-hither, come-to-bed
British informal fit
Australian/New Zealand informal spunky
1.1Agreeable; suitable: a comely specimen
More example sentences
- Why would Bridget not consent to such a suitable arrangement, with a comely, clever, supremely eligible young man; not consent, moreover, when she was carrying his child?
- The building, with the comely address of 11 Spring Street, has inspired conspiracy theories, fear, loathing and - in the pages of the New York Times - utter perplexity.
- In the shares-for-loans feast, they paid $170.1m for a controlling share in NN, producer of half the world's platinoid metals, a fifth of its nickel, and a comely share of its gold and copper.
Middle English: probably shortened from becomely 'fitting, becoming', from become.
- More example sentences
- The notion of beauty is associated with a variety of other words and meanings, including, majesty, glory, honor, loveliness, comeliness, pleasantness, delightfulness, and excellence.
- Charmed by the bull's comeliness, Europa and her handmaidens deck him with flowers.
- This is when the female population of Scotland emerge chrysalis-like from their usual many layers of clothing to reveal unsuspected heights of comeliness.