noun[mass noun] Biology
- An association between two organisms in which one benefits and the other derives neither benefit nor harm.More example sentences
- There are numerous other examples of symbiosis, mutualism, commensalism and parasitism between ray-finned fishes and other groups.
- The beater syndrome is a form of commensalism - the unilateral transfer of benefits from one species to another at little or no cost to the benefactor.
- This can be interpreted as a clear example of commensalism similar to many shrub-understorey experiments.
More definitions of commensalismDefinition of commensalism in:
- The US English dictionary