- A uniformed door attendant at a hotel, theatre, or other building.More example sentences
- The place had a uniformed commissionaire, a dress circle and rude behaviour was ruthlessly stamped out by frightening torch-wielding usherettes.
- The imposing flight of steps outside, flanked by art deco lamp standards and a uniformed commissionaire, certainly suggests something special.
- When they retired, they found their services in demand as bank guards, security men on the wharves, at the city's warehouses and hongs, and as commissionaires at hotels, restaurants and nightclubs.
mid 17th century: from French, from medieval Latin commissarius 'person in charge', from Latin committere 'entrust' (see commit).
More definitions of commissionaireDefinition of commissionaire in:
- The US English dictionary