1An attachment, connected with the armature of a motor or dynamo, through which electrical connection is made and which ensures the current flows as direct current.
- It may also increase efficiency of machines as there won't be frictional effects of brushes, commutators, etc, on the motor itself.
- He went on to build an electric motor in 1832 and invented the commutator, an integral part of most modern electric motors.
- One of the places you need them is in modern small motors which don't have a commutator.
1.1A device for reversing the direction of flow of electric current.
- The commutator must switch current to the correct drive magnets in the correct direction at the correct time in order to produce desired rotor movement.
- Note how the commutator reverses the current each time the coil turns halfway.
Definition of commutator in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.